Deputy Director of Survey
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that builds and cares for public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, encompassing over 5,000 properties and 14% of the city’s land and coastline, include seawalls and waterfronts, pedestrian bridges, beaches and boardwalks, parks and playgrounds, historic houses, recreation centers and pools.
NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health coverage and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
• Under general direction of the Director of Survey, supervise multiple Survey Crews in collecting data to produce topographical maps, calculate boundary and property lines and provide information necessary for Computer Aided Drafting.
• Assist in ensuring that all in-house surveys are completed. Handle various field and office operations related to boundary, topographic and construction survey needs.
• Train new employees, distribute work assignments to Surveyors, update completion schedules and monitor performance.
• Report to the Director of Survey on a daily basis and assist with day-to-day operations of the department.
• Serve as a liaison for the division and occasionally attend meetings with designers to discuss survey requirements and design needs for each project.
• Compile all record information from various agencies and companies such as the Department of Environmental Protection, Con Edison and Metropolitan Transit Authority.
• Sign and seal the work of other Surveyors and direct staff in determining real property boundaries.
• In the absence of the Director, hold meetings with agency staff and other interested parties to ascertain survey needs/objectives. Provide solutions to complex surveying problems.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in surveying, surveying engineering, surveying engineering technology or in similar surveying-related majors, and two years of full-time satisfactory land surveying experience; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college or university in the surveying-related majors listed in "1" above, and four years of full-time satisfactory experience as described in "1" above; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of full time satisfactory experience as described in "1" above; and
4. A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Additional Qualification Requirement for Assignment Level III: In addition to meeting the "Qualification Requirements" for Assignment Level I – A above, to be assigned to Assignment Level III, individuals must have three additional years of experience for a minimum of five years of full-time satisfactory experience as described under Qualification Requirement "1" above and must meet the "License Requirements" described below.
Additional License Requirement: Registration as a New York State Land Surveyor is required for appointment to Assignment Level III. To be assigned to officially sign off on land surveying work, a Surveyor - Assignment Level II must be registered New York State Land Surveyor. This registration must be maintained for the duration of the employment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Knowledge of AutoCAD, Photoshop, PowerPoint and 3D rendering.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
4. Thorough understanding of ALTA/NSPS Standards, FEMA Flood Mapping, GPS Standards and NYS Land Surveying Guidelines.
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 06/22/18
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 342017
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.