Berkshire Design Group is seeking an experienced survey technician to join our team in Northampton, Massachusetts. You will perform both field and office land surveying work on a wide range of residential, commercial and infrastructure projects.
You should have a survey-related degree or 2 years of experience, which must include drafting and production of survey plans, but we would prefer some field experience as well. You must have (or be close to having) an LSIT license, and be fluent in AutoCAD and GIS software.
This is a year-round position that will include outdoor work in all seasons, including surveying in rugged terrain and wooded areas. We will require travel from our downtown Northampton office to project sites throughout Massachusetts in a company-provided vehicle. You must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, and must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. We would love it if you have at least an associate’s degree, good communication skills, and a track record of detail-oriented plan production.
Your field responsibilities will include:
- Performing boundary line, topographic, construction stakeout, and utility surveys
- Operating and maintaining Total Stations, Data Collectors, GPS units, and other equipment
- Documenting all phases of survey work through clear field notes and data collection
- Applying mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of geometry
- Using hand tools to traverse difficult terrain, dig to expose survey markers, and to install stakes
Your office responsibilities will include:
- Importing survey data and drafting with AutoCAD and Carlson Survey software
- Researching property records and preparing base plans with GIS software (ESRI)
- Creating ALTA/ACSM Land Title Surveys, Boundary & Topographic Surveys, As-Built Surveys, and Profiles
- Preparing instructions and field sheets for the survey field crew
- Generating contour surfaces and performing least squares analyses.
Our ideal candidate is pursuing licensure as a Professional Land Surveyor and will be energized by working on a wide variety of tasks and engaging with the other members of our team. You will be joining a cross-disciplinary group of land surveyors, civil engineers, and landscape architects that work closely with each other to deliver projects that purposefully shape our community. Our recent work has included multi-million-dollar commercial and residential developments, new public school buildings, rehabilitation of state parks, innovative net zero water systems, and planning studies for the Boston Olympic bid.
Berkshire Design Group offers group health and dental insurance, vacation/sick/holiday time, Simple IRA plan, and flex spending accounts. Most importantly we offer a friendly, creative, and collaborative work environment. To learn more about our people and our work, visit us at www.berkshiredesign.com.